Friday, November 28, 2008

3 Cats




I have 3 cats. They usually make me smile. However, when I’m trying to engage in my morning quiet time, which includes prayer and meditation, they jump on my lap, get fur on my face, make loud purring motor sounds, go through trash and all manner of things noisy and obnoxious! When they get fur in my face I engage in a form of sneezing meditation. ;-)

My cats are like the Trickster Gods found in mythology. Just when you think you have everything under control, the Trickster Cat God comes and messes everything up. This teaches us that nothing is permanent. Everything is transcendent.

I am often reminded by my spiritual mentor that God doesn’t want us to stand on our own 2 feet lest we get self-reliant and cocky. He wants us off balance so we will learn to lean on HIM. My cats provide me with a daily reminder of this!God has put them in my life for a reason. Why has God sent me such challenging lessons in patience? I don’t know. I am grateful for the responsibility! :)

Part of the blessings God has given me - I put a bid on a house last March. There were 2 other bidders. The seller chose me! I am a first time home owner! So, the night I found out that I got the bid, all 3 cats were gathered together looking at me as I explained to them that we would be moving at the end of April. I processed what the transition would entail. (Get it? En“TAIL?” ;-) I wasn’t finished talking to them when they started drifting off and
ignoring me. This occurred around the same time I finished eating my dinner. (Talk about humility!)

In my line of work, people in early recovery from addiction want to rush into a relationship - (which can be just as dangerous and addictive!) They are often advised NOT to get into relationships during the first year. Furry souls of all shapes & sizes are great for people in recovery - especially in the early stages. They provide unconditional love. It’s important to have some one to cuddle with and to wake up with in the morning. (I’m still single, so this is especially relevant for me.) I love my little soul monsters in fur suits like there’s no tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me share.

Rick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that, Rick.

I'm getting attached to my cats. I am allergic to them, so I sneeze alot, and try to pet them and avoid my eyes. Its a tough choice; my comfort or having their love. They are good.